Monday, February 7, 2011

Gift Conundrum

My least favorite thing about being a responsible, gainfully employed adult is that I'm now expected to handle gift-giving to various family members. In the past, my mother included gifts sent on my behalf with her packages. Last year, she continued to do most of my gift-giving for birthdays but left Christmas up to me. I did pretty well- I managed to get a gift for everyone, stay in a reasonable budget, and ship everything on time.

2011 is off to a rocky start, though- I forgot all about my cousin Jennifer's birthday until my mom sent me a text yesterday, asking if I'd gotten her anything. Jenn's birthday is Saturday. Oops. I imagined my mom sighing as she replied that she would handle it, but I needed to send my cousin Andy's wife (Mandy) something for her birthday (2/23). 

A brief explanation on my family: I don't see or speak to my father's side of the family often. (I believe 2004 was the last time I received correspondence from them.) My mother's side is small- I have 3 first cousins, 2 aunts, and 4 uncles. As a result, we are all fairly close. So while some might think it's odd to be so concerned with gift giving to extended family, bear in mind that I feel closer to my older cousins than I do my older half-sister.

That said, I know next to nothing about Mandy. I met her once, at her and Andy's wedding last summer. She was extremely kind, with a generous laugh and big smile. Looking through Andy's Facebook photos that include her (she doesn't have an account), she seems down-to-earth, into simple style, and outdoorsy. But what to get her? Here are my ideas thus far:

Image via Preppy Princess
Jonathan Adler tumblers- I think the Greek Key (blue & orange) or Multi Chevron (obvious) are the front runners...everyone can use more cups, and these are an excellent value. I'm not sure if they're dishwasher safe, though, and have no idea if they fit with Mandy's general taste.

Image via A Touch of Whimsy

Luggage tags- Another gift I think everyone could use. Although now that I think about it, I only have a PO box address for Andy and Mandy. Scratch this. Still cute, though.

Image via Olive Barn
Herb garden kit- this biodegradable bowl comes filled with organic seeds and would make an excellent window garden. Plus, they just bought a house with a great big yard; perhaps if this grows well, it could be transplanted outside to a garden!

Image via Not Soap, Radio
I'm not here, I'm really...gift set- I hate to give generically girly gifts like candles and soap, but I really think this Not Soap, Radio gift set of 3 body souffles is a good choice. They have fun names like "I'm not here, I'm really walking the red carpet" and with 3 scents, one of them is bound to please!




No comments:

Post a Comment