Tuesday, September 14, 2010

5K Training

I'm not much of a runner. In fact, I hate running. Or jogging. Or walking quickly, even.

However, after a frustrating bout with a pair of formerly-flattering jeans a couple of months ago, I decided it was time to do something. I asked Johnny for advice. He suggested running. Of course. After all, running is free, you don't need any special equipment, and you can do it any time. Running it is. We set a goal: Run the Fort Worth Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. It's a 5K, benefits a great program, and is, in Johnny's opinion, very doable. 

I'm not sold on the last point, but every time I tie my New Balances, head out the door, and fire up JogTracker, I feel good about it. Of course, I feel less good once we've run a quarter of a mile downhill and I'm wheezing, clutching a stitch in my side and Johnny, former basketball player, cross-country runner, and Ultimate-Frisbee-er is pounding smoothly along, stitch-free. I try not to think about it. 

All this running is paying off, though- while I can't fit into the jeans (yet!), I can run further, faster, and with a less-painful stitch. Just look- we did over 2 miles on a recent jog and made a lot of progress on our time. Even so, I think I'll be happier when the pants fit.


No comments:

Post a Comment