Sunday, January 9, 2011

Books

I've decided to add another goal to the 2011 list: read at least 10 books this year. I love reading, but I've read less and less as the years go on. I'm not sure why- I feel like I have plenty of free time, I still enjoy the act of reading books, and I find plenty of subjects appealing. I really believe I haven't read much lately because I have the internet. There's so much online to read and discover that sometimes, it's all I want to do! I still think I'd like to get back to reading literature, whether it's on the Nook app on my phone or an actual book.

I'm starting the year with a book I discovered at work. We have a giant pile of books that have been left here by guests, some intentionally, some accidentally. Most are cheesy romance novels or generic mysteries. I found a crazy looking book a few days ago and couldn't resist picking it up. It's The Worm Ouroboros by E.R. Eddison, and it's apparently some sort of fantasy classic.

How could I resist?
I generally like sci-fi/fantasy novels anyway, so I figured this book was as good a place as any to start. It's been slow going so far, though. The whole thing is written in Jacobean-style prose (think 'thee' and 'thou') and has been sort of a snooze-fest. Hopefully the action will pick up and I'll be able to get past the tone- I'd really like to finish it by the end of the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment