Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Gina


Throughout my equestrian career, I've always been plagued by horses that "need work". The first real horse I had was a $600 2-year-old mixed-breed gelding named Buster; my dad picked him up at a horse auction when I was 8. Busted needed work. He was barely broke to ride and although Buster and I ended up as moderately successful competitors, the work never stopped. (Note to anyone thinking of buying their child a horse: don't buy anything that needs work. Buy your child something relatively calm, quiet, and experienced.) 

Buster was only the beginning; a slew of horses that "needed work" followed. There was Spike, who had been badly abused by a previous owner. Sandy, who refused to be ridden in a regular bridle. Shalimar, who, despite being 20+ years old, had never outgrown his devious pony attitude. Ace, who was afraid of every shadow and breeze. Some of these horses were mine. Many were simply the animals of friends or fellow competitors who had heard of my reputation for taking on difficult horses. 

Such was the case with Gina, pictured above. My first day on the job at the therapeutic riding center, I was assigned to get Gina into reasonable shape and prepared for sale. Gina had been donated to the program in July 2010. Her owner had decided she wasn't going to continue riding in college and after being wildly unsuccessful at selling the horse, opted to donate her to us. Gina was evaluated and found totally unsuitable for therapeutic riding, but thanks to an over-ambitious vaulting instructor, Gina stayed on at the program. After the vaulting instructor quit, no one wanted to touch Gina. She was aggressive and pushy when handled. No one would ride her. Student workers referred to her as "Satan" and my boss described her as "in need of some work". 

Sigh. Story of my life.

My first ride on Miss G was less than amazing; she tossed her head around, spooked constantly, and could hardly hold herself up at the canter. I was mildly worried this horse needed more work than I had time to put in.

That was two weeks ago. Since then, Gina has improved dramatically. She's less aggressive on the ground and in her stall. She is eager to see me and go for a ride. She's quieter and happier. She holds her head nicely, on the bit, moving from her hindquarters. Her canter is smooth and steady. It's remarkable what a little time and effort did for her. I think she's excited to have someone who cares about her again. And that's why I think I'm going to buy Gina. I think she'll make a lovely low-level eventer. And really- we could all use some work.

1 comment:

  1. A sweet story. Please keep us posted on Gina's progress.

    ReplyDelete