Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Meet Moe


Allow me to introduce you to Moe, my good-natured Thoroughbred gelding. Moe is my three-day event horse, or he was until I moved away from Tennessee and had to leave him behind. He is sixteen years old, about 15.2 hands tall, and isn't very smart. But he's sweet and likable and a very good jumper. 

Yours truly aboard Moe at a jumper show!
My parents bought Moe- or Richnfree, as his Jockey Club papers state- when he was eight and I was seventeen. I was in dire need of a new eventer. My old horse, Spike, couldn't handle the stress of competition and had been sold to a nice family with several children who wanted nothing more than to ride him bareback in a field. My friend and fellow Pony Clubber, Kim, suggested I take a look at Moe, who was currently being worked with by her trainer. I met Moe at a horse trials (where he'd just taken first place in the Beginner Novice division) and instantly loved him. Negotiations were made, and Moe joined my horse Buster at our small farm.

Over the next few years, Moe and I traveled to horse shows in Tennessee, Kentucky, and Alabama. We weren't the most winning team- Moe's dressage wasn't great- but he was definitely the best horse I'd ever had. Moe came to college with me, where he lived with the same group of horses for three years: Wyatt, a bossy Walking Horse gelding; Ginger, a competitive Standardbred mare; and Sim, a nervous Arabian gelding. Moe and I didn't do much eventing in college- I rode him on long trail rides and we raced Ginger across soybean fields regularly. Sometimes we'd enter a local fun show to keep our jumping skills sharp, but we were more often found riding to Sonic for a limeaid or beating barrel horses at hayfield races.

When I moved to Kansas, I left Moe in the care of my father on the family farm. I never found a place to keep him in Wichita, but here in the Tulsa area at my therapeutic riding center job, I've been lucky enough to find a place for him! The director offered to let me keep Moe out at the center for a very reasonable monthly boarding fee. I am so excited! I have missed Moe dearly and once I arrange transportation for him, he'll be back in action! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited for Moe and you! Do you think he and Gina will like each other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they will! Moe seems to like everyone he meets and Gina likes horses that don't mind being bossed around, haha!

    ReplyDelete